I love baking cupcakes a lot; my classmates should know that, I bake cupcakes and give them some so often! However, I feel bad if I bake a dozen cupcakes and not everyone gets a bit of it. Yet, I don’t want to use too much ingredients. So I made mini cupcakes, and they’re perfect! Just one of these is satisfactory. The vanilla cupcake is delicate and fluffy, and the mocha frosting is packed with flavour!
The recipe is relatively easy. I used my standard vanilla cupcakes, which normally makes 11 normal-sized cupcakes. First, sift together cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Now for the wet ingredients. Whisk together buttermilk, milk and egg whites.
Then use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed. I noticed one of my vanilla beans was rather flat, so I snuck it in! (I’ve been using as many vanilla beans as possible since they’re going to expire in a few months)
Now, mix in the dry and wet mixtures. Half of the dry ingredients, then the wet mixture, then the rest of the dry.
Then scoop the batter into the mini muffin tray. Around 1tbsp per scoop. I made only one 24-mini muffin tray, so the remaining batter gave me 5 normal sized vanilla cupcakes.
Bake it! A toothpick inserted in it should come out clean. When taking out the mini cupcakes, I suggest using a small fork.
Now for the mocha frosting. Dissolve the instant granules, and melt the chocolate. Sift the powdered sugar, then cream it with the butter. Honestly, I prefer using salted butter as it helps make the frosting less sweet. Some might add a pinch of salt instead, but it just gives a weird aftertaste to me.
Afterwards, mix this all together!
When piping these cupcakes, I suggest doing a french tip technique, as you can just apply a bit of pressure above the cupcake, and it will flow out nicely for you.
I decorated these mini cupcakes with M&Ms.
Makes: 44 mini cupcakes (or 11 standard ones)
Ingredients for vanilla cupcakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup cake flour (if you don’t have cake flour, just add another 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 tbsp corn flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 70g unsalted butter
- 130g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for mocha frosting
- 100g salted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp hot water
M&Ms for decoration Mini vanilla cupcakes:
- Line two mini 1.5 tbsp muffin pans, 44 cavities.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours(+ corn flour if you’re going in that route), baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, milk and egg whites
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed
- Then add in half the dry ingredients, mixing on low speed
- Add wet mixture
- Add remaining dry ingredients, beating until just incorporated
- Scoop the batter into the cavities, around 1 tbsp each.
- Bake in a 190ºC oven for around 8 to 10 minutes; a toothpick inserted in should come out clean.
- Dissolve the instant coffee with hot water
- Melt the chocolate, and add the coffee mixture to it
- Pour the chocolate into a bowl with the powdered sugar and butter
- Mix to the consistency you desire