This muffin is pretty much my childhood. My mother was the baker of the house, and she would always make this treat for us kids to devour. This is her recipe, and I am so happy to share it with you guys, as this was the first thing I have ever baked.
My mother and I are so different when it comes to baking: 1. she is too impatient to let the butter/eggs defrost to room temperature 2. She is much faster than me when it comes to baking 3. I measure my ingredients precisely by the tsp to the grams, while she does ‘agak agak’ (translates to ‘roughly’). So, she’s better at making pies and tarts, while I am better in making cakes. My mother’s black bottom muffins has always been my favourite of her baked goods. It is nice and moist, and has the nice combination of cream cheese and chocolate. Whenever I make my mum’s muffins, it is always a big hit amongst my friends. So, let’s get started!
For the cream cheese layer, beat the cream cheese, and add in sugar. Then, add in an egg. Set aside.
For the chocolate part, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda
Gently stir the chocolate chips for a bit; this is to coat them with flour (prevent sinking)
In a separate bowl, mix salt, light olive oil, water, egg and vanilla extract
Add this to the dry ingredients, and mix it gently with a wooden spoon
Take about a tablespoon of chocolate batter for each cupcake
Then, take about a scant tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and pour it on top of the chocolate layer
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top
Makes: 16 muffins
Cream cheese layer:
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
2. Beat cream cheese until smooth
3. Beat in sugar and egg until well blended. Set aside
4. Sift together flour sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda
5. Add chocolate chips to dry mixture, and stir it in gently for a bit
6. In a separate bowl, beat water, oil, egg, vanilla and salt. Beat until frothy
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined
8. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate batter into each cupcake liner
9. Add a scant tablespoon of cream cheese on top
10. Sprinkle chocolate chips
11. Bake for 30-35minutes